I provide a wide range of clients personalize instruction in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do, Filipino Kali, Kalis Ilustrisimo, Self-Defense and Functional Fitness. Here are some examples:
I ask my clients what they seek and I give them what they ask for. If they don’t know what they want, I start them off with some basic concepts, movements, techniques, and drills. Then, we move on from there!
My goal is to make sure I have happy, smiling, satisfied and sweating clients each and every training session!
I thoroughly enjoy watching clients go through the various phases of learning. I also enjoy the watching them have “Ah-Ha” moments as well as when they make a new discovery and develop that new skill set.
Finally, I enjoy watching them glow after reaching a new goal - only to become more determined to raise the bar and set an even higher goal.
Professor Roy Harris is a phenomenal teacher! He provides both a great mix of listening, speaking and practical learning techniques and a safe, supportive learning environment. As a student, you feel pushed to learn and try out new moves, feel supported in doing so, and gain valuable feedback that helps you to improve. I have learned so much from Professor Roy. He paces his lessons just right so you feel challenged but not overwhelmed. He is patient and eager to help. He puts a lot of thought into how he presents his material. His lessons are engaging, useful, and he is always encouraging his students to try; he’s great at building confidence. Seminars/Classes with Professor Roy are so worthwhile! He has an amazing way of breaking things down so that they are understandable, and always keeps it light and fun. I would highly recommend Professor Roy to anyone interested in learning jiu jitsu. Professor Roy! You are amazing at what you do! Your passion and dedication is beyond words! It has been an honor to have you on my jiu jitsu journey.
Working with Roy is a pleasure. He is courteous, kind, professional, and respectful. Roy is a legend in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and martial arts communities and is one of the first 12 Americans to achieve their black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which is a rare and remarkable accomplishment. As a teacher he is clear, patient, and extremely well prepared. Whether you are a World class practitioner or a hobbyist, I can recommend Roy Harris as a private tutor and instructor in the highest possible way.
Very specific to my needs and goals. Came away with things to work on until our next session.
My ‘in home’ lessons with Mr Harris were very ‘clear and concise’ as Mr Harris is the best at making any techniques whether ‘advanced or basic’ easy to learn.
1. I talk with the new student about his or her goals. We narrow down the areas of training to focus on.
2. The student makes payment and we set up a time to meet and train.
3. We begin training, focusing on the student's desired interest.
4. Part way through the instruction, I ask the student if the instruction is meeting his or her needs.
5. We make adjustments along the way, as needed.
Here is a glimpse of my background:
1. I have trained in martial arts since 1981.
2. I have trained in 27 styles of martial art and have obtained several black belts and instructor certifications. The main styles that are requested are:
• Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do
• Kalis Ilustrisimo
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
3. I am also a certified Kettlebell instructor and teach functional fitness private and semi-private lessons.
4. I am also a certified defensive tactics and arrest and control instructor, have taught at numerous police academies in Southern California and am currently consulting with two local agencies.