I provide a wide range of clients personalize instruction in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do, Filipino Kali, Kalis Ilustrisimo, Self-Defense and Functional Fitness. Here are some examples:
I ask my clients what they seek and I give them what they ask for. If they don’t know what they want, I start them off with some basic concepts, movements, techniques, and drills. Then, we move on from there!
My goal is to make sure I have happy, smiling, satisfied and sweating clients each and every training session!
I thoroughly enjoy watching clients go through the various phases of learning. I also enjoy the watching them have “Ah-Ha” moments as well as when they make a new discovery and develop that new skill set.
Finally, I enjoy watching them glow after reaching a new goal - only to become more determined to raise the bar and set an even higher goal.
Working with Roy is a pleasure. He is courteous, kind, professional, and respectful. Roy is a legend in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and martial arts communities and is one of the first 12 Americans to achieve their black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which is a rare and remarkable accomplishment. As a teacher he is clear, patient, and extremely well prepared. Whether you are a World class practitioner or a hobbyist, I can recommend Roy Harris as a private tutor and instructor in the highest possible way.
Very specific to my needs and goals. Came away with things to work on until our next session.
My ‘in home’ lessons with Mr Harris were very ‘clear and concise’ as Mr Harris is the best at making any techniques whether ‘advanced or basic’ easy to learn.
Mr. Harris is the most professional instructor you will find in the martial arts. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to your lesson. I have had the pleasure of learning from him for the last 20 + years. Even today, he is able to share new insights.
1. I talk with the new student about his or her goals. We narrow down the areas of training to focus on.
2. The student makes payment and we set up a time to meet and train.
3. We begin training, focusing on the student's desired interest.
4. Part way through the instruction, I ask the student if the instruction is meeting his or her needs.
5. We make adjustments along the way, as needed.
Here is a glimpse of my background:
1. I have trained in martial arts since 1981.
2. I have trained in 27 styles of martial art and have obtained several black belts and instructor certifications. The main styles that are requested are:
• Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do
• Kalis Ilustrisimo
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
3. I am also a certified Kettlebell instructor and teach functional fitness private and semi-private lessons.
4. I am also a certified defensive tactics and arrest and control instructor, have taught at numerous police academies in Southern California and am currently consulting with two local agencies.