I believe that anyone can learn to be proficient in the visual arts. During the last 15 years, I have instructed students in four states, shot weddings and engagements sessions, created an online course through my website, and published two books.
You can find my website at:
I specialize in studio lighting and portraiture. In the last six years I have taught classes on lighting, night photography, videography, and wildlife photography.
I love the "ah-ha" moment when an essential topic and process becomes clear to someone. Then I love the moment when a student uses that understanding to create art.
I have taken many classes that Joe has taught. He is excellent and knows camera and all the equipment front and backwards. When I started taking classes I was new to Digital Photography and he has helped me learn about my camera and has helped me to move my photography to a whole new level that I believe would have taken me 2 to 3 times longer to get there. He is down to earth and communicates on a level that is not only informational but understandable for anyone wanting to learn about photography. If you are thinking of taking a class with him I would sign up right away because I believe he is the best. I would recommend him to my friends and family and I myself will continue to take classes that he does because he is great and I always learn something new about my camera and equipment and about how to photograph things and how to use the equipment to the fullest. I really enjoy his classes and always look forward to attending one.
I lead with two important aspects of photo education. First, I focus on the essentials. To accomplish very difficult shots you need to know the basics at a very deep level more than you need to know some minute camera setting. That said, there are technical skills, such as subject tracking, reading histograms, and flash sync speed, that will be useful to know. My contention is that knowing the essentials as second nature make these secondary skills easier to pickup.
Second, photography is about problem solving more than it is about learning, say, "travel photography" as a seperate skills set from "macro photography" or "portrait photography". For me, learning to solve problems in the field decreases the memorization students believe they need to learn and will make you better prepared for unforeseen circumstances.
I have 15 years experience in the photographic industry. I have taught classes for the last 10+ years, written several books, ran a YouTube channel, and my own business and website. On top of that I am a certified photographic instructor by the Photo Marketing Association.
$50 per half hour. No travel time charges.
I have worked for several photographic retailers who wanted to teach classes. I began teaching through this work and a few years ago began expanding on it and started my own business.
All types. Ages of my students have varied from teenagers to septuagenarians. In terms of experience levels I have spent about 60% of my time with students very new to photography, and the remaining 40% with all manner of intermediate and advanced shooters, including some professionals.
A few times a year I teach a studio lighting course with 10 or so students, a studio I set up, and a model. The last time I taught this it sold out and we had a great time creating images together with lights, shadows, and backgrounds. A few weeks after that I taught a small group studio session with a different model, and we had more time to experiement. Although I teach students about a variety of topics, lighting has always held a place in my heart.
There is a difference between people with a lot of shooting experience and those with a lot of teaching experience. You may easily find individuals with shooting skills who may not be good communicators. They oftentimes can leave their students with more questions than answers, which is not a good experience.
What do you want to learn to achieve? How manually do you want to understand your equipment? What subject matter is meaningful to you? Before we begin we'll want to discuss your comfort with subjects like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, autofocus modes, and autofocus areas. If these are new to you, great, they give us a place to begin. But before we discuss how to shoot, say, a bird in flight, we'll want to explore these essential topics. Moreover, we'll want to understand your long term goals as well as the short term ones.