Teaching art has given me as much satisfaction as creating art myself. Helping my students learn how to draw, paint and create comics is truly my passion. I look forward to seeing my students blossom every day, beyond their wildest dreams, and begin to exhibit art themselves. I have been blessed to be able to do this for the past 15 years, and I look forward to a lifetime of teaching art.
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING ARTIST, Huntington, NY 1992 – Present
· Creates and sells original fine art concentrating in watercolor, watercolor collage, oil and pastel paintings.
· Proficient in Realism, Impressionism, Semi-abstract and Abstract Painting and Drawing styles.
· Exhibit art in solo and group shows internationally and nationally.
· Receive individual commissions for custom fine art portraits.
· Sell prints of original cartoons done in traditional and computer media.
· Creates animations tackling social issues.
· Paint custom murals.
· Display fine art digital photography at art shows and conventions.
· Teach pencil drawing, pastel, oil pastel, watercolor, oil, collage, sculpture and acrylic media to students all ages,
including K-12, College Age, Adult, Special Needs and Elderly.
· Introduce a robust skill-based curriculum including still life drawing and painting, figure and portrait drawing and
painting, gesture drawing, imaginative two-dimensional art, imaginative sculpture, art reproduction, lessons in
perspective, proportion, shading and basic color theory.
· Emphasize the importance of creativity, individual style, technique, developing concepts and artistic confidence.
· Encourage communication between students in regards to each other’s artwork by implementing a critique where the
students discuss each other’s work with guidance and suggestions by the teacher. They comment and student-to students
teach each other. This is also done informally throughout the class.
· Relate to the students the importance of creativity, self-expression, enjoyment, patience, discipline, and knowledge
acquired through the making of art.
· Promote knowledge of currently established artists and art history in relation to student’s work allowing students to
acknowledge themselves as vibrant members of a larger art community and to acknowledge each of their individual
· Featured artist in Canvas Magazine, Awareness Magazine, Commentary of the Times and Newsday. Featured in The
Hindu, India Express, in the Arts and Culture section in Vaartha and Telugu Times, the top daily newspapers in
Hyderabad, AP, India and the national The Week Magazine as well as the television programs, In the Artist Studio FiOS
TV, ETV2, Kalanjali, Teja News and ITV.
A full biography, artist statements, images of artwork and press are on the website: www.anuannam.art.
A Digital PDF that is a Printable ARTWORK CATALOG for Anu Annam is available, along with a separate page for
Realistic Classical Commissions.
A printable digital PDF of biography and artist statement is also available.
Class Descriptions with photos of Student Work upon request
EXHIBITING ARTIST 1992-Present
· Full Exhibiting Artist CV available upon request
YOUTH DIRECTION AND ALTERNATIVES, Northport, NY 2017
· Comic Book Club- Writing and Illustrating Sequential Art
ISLIP ART MUSEUM, East Islip, NY 2016
· Fluid Breakdown I, Intro to Watercolor
· Fluid Breakdown II, Chemistry of Watercolor
NORTH SHORE SCHOOL DISTRICT, Glen Head, NY 2014-Present
· Beginning Drawing
· Intermediate Drawing
· Wet Media Drawing
ART LEAGUE OF LONG ISLAND, Dix Hills, NY 2013-Present
· Watercolor Portraiture
· Splashes of Color
ANU ANNAM ARTS & ILLUSTRATION EDUCATION PROGRAM, Huntington, NY 2009-Present
· Private and Semi-Private Mentorship Programs
PATCHOGUE MEDFORD LIBRARY, Patchogue, NY 2014
· Intro to Pastel
YMCA, Huntington, NY 2005 – 2012
· Little Artists: Intro to Art
TOWN OF HUNTINGTON PARKS AND RECREATION, Huntington, NY 2008 – 2009
· Intro to Art
CAMPARI <Art House>, Northport, NY 2013-2015
· Select artists to exhibit in the gallery
· Develop a theme for artists work through a careful artwork selection process and hanging
· Organize opening receptions and artist talks
· Design cards, banners, flyers for print and digital social media
· Promote the exhibition through email, social media, press, including magazines, newspapers, and television for the
Opening reception, closing reception, and the artist’s work
· follow through with and closed sales
LEGROS CULTURAL ARTS, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Long Island, NY 2009-2011
Assistant Visual Arts Director
· Organize multicultural visual arts events
· Judge artwork for art shows
· Consult for art shows
· Network to find venues, artists and to broaden organizations presence.
· Participate in benefits such as SWAN Day (Support Women Artists Now) and the Haiti Relief Fundraiser
· Aid in public relations through networking in person, the web, and phone
FANTASTIC FUNHOUSE, Cinema Arts Centre, Huntington, NY 2017-Present
Co-creator, Organizer, Entertainer, Muralist and Art Teacher
· Create programming for Cinema for Kids
· Designed and implemented a safe, educational, fun-filled children's museum-style art program for our community's
STREET CHILDREN FUNDRAISER in conjunction with Sphoorti, Commack, NY, Andhra Pradesh, India 2009-Present
Creator and Organizer
· Organize art and music shows for the purpose of fundraising for the arts for the orphanage Sphoorti,
a five-star rated non-profit (GreatNonprofits.org) organization,
· Sell photos, paintings, and prints and donate a portion of the profits to Sphoorti, at art shows, individually
· Keep in close contact with the Award-winning organization, which has a Fulbright Scholar art recreational therapist
POP! DRAW ART SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISERS for the Jeffrey K. Fisher Drawing Studio, Smithtown, 2016
Co-Director and Co-Founder
· Co-created concept of the fundraiser with the Drawing Studio team
· Acted as liaison with Cinema Art Centre to communicate details of the production and programming
· Detailed the PR to the team from press release to social media PR plan
· Oversaw costume and design for prop production
· Programming Star Wars and Dark Night Sketch Night events
MA, Fine Arts (completing the thesis), Long Island University, Brookville, NY
Art Student’s League,
School of Visual Arts
Fashion Institute of Technology
Parson’s School of Design
BA, English and Fine Art, Tufts University, Medford, and School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
2018 Suffolk County Decentralization Full Grant Recipient with Funding from New York State Council on the Arts
2017 Suffolk County Decentralization Full Grant Recipient with Funding from New York State Council on the Arts
2016 Honorable Mention, Art League of Long Island Holiday Art Fair
2015 Finalist in Long Island Press and Bethpage Federal Credit Union Best of Long Island, Best Artist Competition
2013 SPARKBOOM, Huntington Arts Council, Post No Bills Public Art Contest Winner
2013 Abstract Art Exhibit, Best in Show
2013 Who’s Hot in 2013 Honorable Mention
2010 Legros Cultural Arts Visual Artist of the Year Award
2008 Sister Kenny Rehabilitation Institute International Art Show
1st Place in Watercolor
2006 Moosnick Award
2006 Pusey Award
2004 Vivekananda Institute of Human Excellence for Dedicated Service to the Nation and Profession
1990 Columbia Scholastic Award
Software: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere, Macromedia Flash, Quark Express, Microsoft Word,
Microsoft Publisher, Microsoft PowerPoint
Hardware: PC and Mac
All references are available upon request
Anu Annam Arts & Illustration is located at
THE STUDIOS @ SUITE PIECES:
1038 New York Ave, Studio C,
Huntington Station, NY 11743
Miss Anu is a super knowledgable and talented teacher. She has helped my daughter advance tremendously with her art. We highly recommend Miss Anu!
Anu is a wonderful teacher. Even if you don't feel like you can ever master the art of watercolor, she never doubts that you can. Anu patiently instructs you guiding you with her knowledge, explaining technique, proper proportion, shadow, and positioning. She polishes the finest of talent and for amateurs like myself, Anu brings out the possibility in you to be a creative artist, even if you never imagined it was there.
Anu has a distinct understanding of my potential and she instructs at the same time she supports what she sees in me. She is kind and patient. I have seen work coming from myself I did not see possible.
Anu is a patient and attentive instructor who takes the time to help students grasp artistic concepts. She creates beautiful original work, which illustrates her love for art, and she loves teaching, which also shows.
I always look at past work if any and I give an evaluation. I assess their strengths and challenges and work from that, so as to cut red tape. If a student excels at something, I will trust their work and help make improvements, and if they need more help, I will allow more time and explain from the very beginning. This saves time in lessons overall.
I have been an exhibiting artist for 25 years and an art teacher for fifteen. I went to Tufts University and Boston Museum School and received a degree in Fine Arts and English Literature. I am receiving my Masters in Arts from Long Island University. I teach at the prestigious Art League of Long Island, am an Artist-in-Residence for the Huntington Arts Council and have received the New York State Council on the Arts Teaching grant 2017 and 2018, since it was first instated.
ANU ANNAM ARTS EDUCATION
All ages and abilities.