Run Speed Performance
Olympian Jonathan Johnson is the founder and owner of Run Speed Performance and has been running and coaching for over 20 years. His personal experience at the collegiate and professional level is invaluable. His approach to youth and adult training is superior due to his compassion and commitment to the youth's and adult’s needs. Coach Johnson is recognized globally as one of the leading experts and advocates in his field.
Johnson holds a USATF Level 1 Coaching Certification and is certified as a Personal Trainer, Sports Performance Enhancement Specialist, and Weight Loss Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine. He now focuses on passing his knowledge and expertise to others, looking to improve their skills. His unique, sport specific training programs have helped hundreds of others achieve amazing levels of success both on and off the track.
Johnson competed in Athens, in the 2004 Olympics for the USA in the 800 meter run. He also qualified to represent the USA in the 2003 World Championships, which were held in Saint-Denis, France. From 2001-05, Johnson competed for Texas Tech University. Upon completion of NCAA eligibility, he competed professionally as a track and field athlete, 2005-2010.
During his time in Lubbock, the Abilene native established himself as the greatest male track athlete Texas Tech has ever known.
•He was named All-American nine times and received 16 All-Conference awards including four consecutive Big 12 Individual Championships titles
No reviews (yet)
Frequently asked questions
What is your typical process for working with a new student?
What you will learn training with me to name a few:
* proper warm-up
* how and when to properly stretch
* how to do drills and learn how it helps with the warm-ups and develop proper running technique
* I will set up the track to execute the drills/warm-ups I will teach you
* I will teach you to understand the basic track layout and how to maximize you training runs on the track
* I will break down your splits so you can check your consistency
* you will be taught proper strike, stride, and arm technique
* you will be taught strength training appropriate for race/distance
* you will be taught the mental aspects of running/ racing
* you will receive a structure training program that builds on itself
* Most Importantly You Will Leave With GREAT CONFIDENCE as a Runner/Track athlete!
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
Johnson's awards as a track star by year include:
One of the Youngest to be Inducted on first time ballot into the Texas Tech Hall of Fame
• Induction into the Big Country Hall of Fame
• Selected into the UIL All-Century Boys Track and Field Team
• Graduated from Texas Tech with a B.S Degree Human Development and Family Studies
• Competed as a Professional Athlete for Reebok
2005 (Texas Tech University)
• Big 12 Outdoor 800m Champion (1:44.86)
• Set Big 12 Outdoor 800m Record (1:44.86
• Two-time all-conference
• All-American honoree at the NCAA Championships
2004 (Olympic team – Athens Greece)
• Won the US Olympic Trials
• Set school record of 1:44.77
• Tech's only U.S Olympian representative
• Number one ranking in the United States by Track and Field News
• Ran the fastest time by an American in the 800m that year
• Finished second in the prelims of the Olympic Games
• Was the only American athlete to compete in the semifinal round of the 800m
2004 (Texas Tech)
• Ranked No. 1 in the nation by Track and Field News
• Outdoor NCCA National Champion in the 800m
• Earned first NCAA National title setting a stadium record
• Member of the 4X400m and sprint medley relay team
• Texas Tech’s first ever male National Champion in any sport
• Defended his 800m title for the third straight year at the Conference Championships with a Big 12 meet record
• Earned All-Region honors with a third-place finish in the 4X400m
2003 (Texas Tech)
• Ranked third in the U.S. by Track and Field News among college and elite in the 800m
• USATF Championship third-place finish
• Qualified for the 2003 Track and Field World Championship
• Two-time All-American, second-place at NCAA meet in the 800m
• Earned two automatic bids for the NCAA Championships 800m and 4 x 400m
• Big 12 Outdoor Champion (148.13)
2002 (Texas Tech)
• Fastest time ever at Nationals for an American freshman setting the new school record since 1981 with a time of 145:81
• 4th at NCAA Outdoor 800m
• Big 12 Outdoor 800m Champion (150.19)
• Earned All-Conference honors to the conference title in the 800m
• Two-time Indoor All-American and Two-time Outdoor All-American. First Texas Tech male to earn four All-American honors as a freshman
• 6th at NCAA Indoor 800m (150.40)
• Second place in both the 600Y and 800M Big 12 Indoor
• Second place in the 800M at the Texas Tech Classic
(Abilene High School)
2001 (Senior Year)
• Named Top Male Athlete of the Year as a senior
• 5A state track team title as a senior
• Posted a state and 5A 800m record with time of 1:48:21
• Best 400m 47.37
• 9th at National Scholastic Senior year
• 1st at Golden West Invitational 800m senior
2000 (Junior Year)
• 1st 800m at National Scholastic Juniors year
• 1st at Golden West Invitational high school
• Junior year best time 800m 149.60 and 400m 47.15
• Two time All-American in both and junior and senior years
• Holds the regional record of 1:50
1999 (Sophomore Year)
• Best 800m 151.75
Do you have a standard pricing system for your lessons? If so, please share the details here.
1session @ 1hr = $75
3 sessions @ $70hr = $210
6 sessions @ $65hr = $390
Group = $152.07 month to month (meeting 3 - 4 x weekly for 1 - 2hrs per session)
Online training = $75 month to month
What types of students have you worked with?
Begginer youth athletes - adult professionals.
What advice would you give a student looking to hire a teacher in your area of expertise?
Ask questions, If the professional can not answer your questions in their coaching field. Then it's probably a good sign to keep searching.
Paying more for an experienced professional can also mean saving more long term. Experience is everything and can cut down on how many session you will need to accomplish your goal.