Shelsy Spanish Lessons
I teach young children (ages 6-18) how to speak, write, and read not only proper Spanish, but conversational Spanish as well. As a high school senior, I notice that my students are less intimidated by me than they would be of an older tutor, which allows them to enjoy the lessons more. I also try to incorporate teaching the language through the Spanish culture (from both Spain and Latin America).
Frequently asked questions
What is your typical process for working with a new student?
- I introduce myself to the student and discuss with them their goals and purposes.
- I establish a comfortable learning environment by using the language as a way to get to know the student as a person, and so that he/she knows me as well.
- I talk to the parents or guardians of the student about their goals for their child.
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
- Spanish Language SAT: 800 (perfect score)
- AP Spanish Language: 5 (out of 5)
- AP Spanish Literature: 5 (out of 5)
- Information Desk Translator (volunteer) at California Hospital Medical Center.
Spanish was my first language and the language I speak at home.
Do you have a standard pricing system for your lessons? If so, please share the details here.
Initial Charge for Lessons: $20 per hour
- varies depending on Student's current level on Spanish
How did you get started teaching?
Currently in the process of applying and getting ready to move to college. I needed a source of income for textbooks, dorm necessities, and medical expenses. I enjoy and value the Spanish language, so tutoring in this field is something that brought me personal satisfaction and joy.
What types of students have you worked with?
- I usually work with younger students (ages 6-18) in the Hispanic community who do not know Spanish, but I want to expand my services to children from different cultures.