John Hughes Golf
John Hughes, PGA Master Professional, is a Top Ranked and Award-Winning Golf Coach, whose clients range in skill level from beginner to major champion winners. With 35+ years of experience, John can assist you with reaching your potential as a golfer. John is one of only 415 individuals whose earned the designation of PGA Master Professional (Instruction). As your golf coach, John will provide you the skills, knowledge, experience, and results you’ll need to achieve your potential as a golfer.
Career Highlights Include:
• Recipient – 2009 and 2023 North Florida PGA Section Teacher/Coach of the Year
• Top 25 Instructor – Golf Tips Magazine
• Top 100 Instructor – Golf Range Association of America
• Recipient - 2013 PGA of America’s Horton Smith Award, recognizing outstanding educational contributions to PGA Members and the golfing community
• Recipient – 2014 North Florida PGA Section Bill Strausbaugh Award
• Recipient – 2014 East Central Chapter/North Florida PGA Section Golf Professional of the Year
• Three-Time Nominee – Carolina’s PGA Section Teacher of the Year
• Honorary President – North Florida PGA Section
• Member – PGA of America’s Master Professional Committee
• Member - PGA of America’s National Instruction Committee
• Member – Editorial Advisory Board of www.PGA.com
• Member – PGA of America’s Speakers Bureau
• Member – PGA President’s Council for Growth of the Game (1998-Present)
• Member – Proponent Group (Golf Instruction Focus Group) Speakers Bureau
• Former National Director of Instruction – Golf Digest Schools
• Accomplished Author, Speaker, Contributor to multiple companies and publications
• Students include the “Who’s Who” of the corporate, entertainment, political, and sports industries as well as Club Champions, NCAA Champions, Mini-Tour Professionals, and PGA Tour Winners
John lives by one simple rule, have fun, or change what you do. Isn't that why you’re seeking a golf coach, to have more fun at golf? Why not contact John at 407-852-8547 or [email protected] to ask for more details about how you can hire John as your golf coach?
Owns golf clubs
Photos and videos
Frequently asked questions
What is your typical process for working with a new student?
All golfers bring unique skills with them to the course, regardless of their experience level. Before we can detail an improvement plan, you and I will discover what skills you currently possess and which of those skills are the ones you can count on. We'll then prioritize the skills you can improve that create an immediate improvement in your abilities and your scores.
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
PGA Master Professional of Instruction
Golf Tips Magazine Top 30 Instructor
28+ Years of Golf Coaching Experience
Do you have a standard pricing system for your lessons? If so, please share the details here.
Program rates vary based on the program itself as well as how many people are participating.
All programs are customized to the individual or group's specific needs and goals.
Seasonal specials as well as multiple person discounts are available based upon availability.
How did you get started teaching?
I began my career as a golf professional in 1988 after being a successful professional athlete in another sport. I knew when I began my career as a Golf Professional I wanted to coach at the highest level possible. From day one, I studied the game, and the golf swing. And I put my self in a position to receive mentorship from the great coaches of the game. It has been a fun and educational journey for me, a journey I enjoy sharing and passing on to other golfers like you.
What types of students have you worked with?
For the past 30+ years I am honored to boast a clientele list that includes golfers of all skill levels, from absolute beginners to touring professionals.
Describe a recent event you are fond of.
As the former National Director of Instruction for Golf Digest Schools, I am very proud of the efforts I and my team made to build what is arguably the best group of golf instructors found anywhere in the world. For 5+ years, it was a humbling and rewarding experience getting to know and working alongside 55+ golf coaches at 14 different locations worldwide.
What advice would you give a student looking to hire a teacher in your area of expertise?
Just as all golfers bring their own unique skills to the golf course, so do golf teachers. Look for a golf coach instead. A coach will be there for you on or off the course, when you have a simple question or when your skills are not working the way you wish. Teachers watch the clock; coaches care for their clients. Be sure you can establish a working relationship with your golf coach that fits your needs and you personality. Doing so insures the communication you share will be easy to understand as well as fun to implement.
What questions should students think through before talking to teachers about their needs?
Most all of my clients say they want to be more "consistent," yet they do not have a clear definition of what consistency means to their golf game. Be sure you know what your definition of consistency is, and communicate the details of that definition to you coach.