Brian D. Ruffner
Inspired Performance | Building Fearless Winner’s in Life Brian’s passion for tennis, love for teaching and making a lifetime positive difference in the lives of youth made a career as tennis professional “a natural fit.”
“I truly enjoy meeting new people and helping them learn a sport they will enjoy for a lifetime”, says Brian, who started teaching in 1982. “I am passionate about working with high performance juniors, taking them from tennis players to tennis athletes with an Ultimate Purpose in Life.” He develops and implements tennis developmental plans, teaches fearless mental toughness performance skills, tennis specific fitness as well as Cardio Tennis classes.
My philosophy is "Athletes First, Winning Second" and I strive to help each student become motivated internally while having fun with the process. I believe that being a "winner" has nothing to do with the score but everything to do with how you prepare, conduct yourself and the level of effort you give before as well as during competition.
"A good coach develops your game but a great coach improves your life." My goal is to touch every student's life in a positive way through tennis and a commitment to developing lifelong character traits.
This High Performance Coach is currently the Founder/Director of Tennis at LiveWire Tennis Academy in Lake Oswego, OR. Former Varsity Men’s Tennis Coach at Lake Oswego High School and has worked part-time with George Fox University’s Men’s team. He regularly volunteers with InnerCity Sports Ministries with their youth tennis events, Special Olympics of Oregon and director/head pro for Special Needs Tennis Camps throughout Portland area.
His tennis background includes:
• Bachelor of Science Degree (BS) - Physical and Health Education | Warner Pacific College / Portland, OR
• Master’s Degree in Education (MA) | Warner Pacific College / Portland, OR
• Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) – Sport and Performance Psychology | University of the Rockies / Denver, CO (currently pursuing)
• Certified Tennis Professional – Elite Professional (P1) – APC (Accredited Professional Coach) | United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA)
• Certified Tennis Professional - 5A | Professional Tennis Registry (PTR)
- one of first 20 members internationally to receive the 5A rating of over 14,000 members
• Certified High Performance Coach | United States Tennis Association (USTA) / USPTA/PTR
- one of first 3 certified in Oregon
• Certified Mental Toughness Tennis Coach | Human Performance Institute; training system of USTA High Performance players and seventeen former #1 players in world including Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Kara Black and Maria Sarapova
- first person in Portland, OR to receive this certification
• Certified Stringer (CS) and Master Racquet Technician (MRT)|U.S. Racquet Stringers Association (USRSA)
- the first MRT certified in Oregon and the USRSA Certification Tester for Oregon
• Sponsored Prince Tennis National Team Player
• Former #1 ranked player in PNW/USTA in Men’s Doubles and #2 in Singles (Men’s 50’s); #5 Nationally in Doubles (Men’s 50’s in 2012)
• Certified Fitness Trainer in Tennis for Strength, Conditioning and Movement | Pat Etcheberry - Etcheberry Experience Training System; Pat has trained Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, James Blake, Justine Henin, Jelena Jankovic, Jim Courier, Marty Fish and many others tennis professionals and ranked juniors
- first person in Portland, OR to receive this certification
• Certified SAQ (Speed, Agility and Quickness) Trainer | NESTA
• Certified AQX Land/Water Training System Instructor | AQX Sports
• Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist | NSCA
• USTA Sport Science Certification - Level 1, 2-A, 2-B and 2-C
• Graduate of Vic Braden's Pro College and Dennis Van der Meer's Tennis University
• Certified USTA Tennis Official
• Lifetime member of USTA
• Certified Standard First Aid with CPR/AED (Red Cross)
• Over 25 years tennis teaching experience with 10 years as 6A High School Boys Tennis Coach
• Level 1 / Bronze Certified USTA Coaching Youth Tennis and Coaching Principles - ASEP (American Sports Education Program)
• Owner of full service tennis pro shop specializing in racquet customization, stringing, Prince equipment and clothing
• USPTA Top-10 point holder out of over 14,500 members in world for their Career Development Program - 2007
Brian teaches group and private tennis lessons; USTA/Quick Start Tennis (5-12), Junior and Adult tennis lessons to beginners through Division I college players. He offers full time coaching services including electronic match charting services. He was a 11-14 year old United States Boy’s Tennis Coach for the Friendship Games, July 2007 in Holland. His son Austin played on the Boys U.S. Tennis Team for 11 to 14 year-olds.
Ranked #2 in Men’s 50’s Singles and #1 Men’s Doubles in the PNW in 2012. Brian was nationally ranked #5 in Men’s 50’s doubles and a USTA Silver Ball Award Winner in Men’s National Indoor Tennis Championships in 2012. In 2006, Brian was ranked No. 1 in Men’s Senior Doubles, 40-year-old and 45-year-old division, in the Pacific Northwest Section of the USTA.
Brian’s career highlights include developing Elite Tennis Academy, which cultivated a group of committed athletes. The academy’s focus was building a complete student-athlete through development of tennis and life skills, and helping students mature both on and off the court. In addition to Elite Tennis Academy, he previously was employed at Lake Oswego Tennis Center, Portland Tennis Center, Cascade Athletic Club, Clackamas River Racquet Club, Rex Putman High School, Barlow High School and Tigard High School.
Brian received the CAP Fund Award for outstanding community service. He also co-founded a Fatherless Boys After-School Program that was partially funded by the Boys Club of America. He has excelled in business as a consultant with over 21 years specializing in business development in construction and other related industries. Brian D. Ruffner / LiveWire Tennis