Hello! MusicMakers is a family owned and run business which was founded in 1996 by Paula Penna, MMed., BMus. For the past 21+ years we have been the "quiet" staple of the Greater Hartford Area arts education sector, providing thousands of children and families with progressive music education. Our foundation is classical (since everything stems from here), which allows our students to explore any genre they want. We instill passion and purpose in our students - THEIR WAY - out of our genuine love of music and our own passion for music education. At MusicMakers, you won't find the typical "frustrated musician" who teaches because they need the money - we devote ourselvest to the art of teaching music because this is what we love to do, above all else. That comes out in our dedication to our students and their families who support them.
A few important distinctions you may want to know (in other words, why hire US when there are so many choices out there?):
1. We love people. That's important!
2. We love children. That's even more important!
3. We know what we are doing - ALL MusicMakers certified teachers have studied HOW to teach music, and have a vast amount of experience honing their skills. (did you know that in the state of Connecticut, there is NO licensing or certification required for private music educators? So you actually don't know IF your teacher is really qualified, and even if they are safe to be around your child/you. Yet we drop off our kids to a lesson where they are alone with this person...scary, isn't it??) Our teachers have had thorough background checks by Paula herself - teachers interview a minimum of 4 times in a 4 tiered investigational process! Paula is a mom herself - she would never hire anyone she wouldn't feel 1000000% comfortable being around her children. The MusicMakers students are precious.
5. If you need to actually know anymore after #4, here are a few great facts about the quality of our lessons:
- We are the ONLY school in CT that is approved for the Royal Schools of Music (U.K.)'s prestigious examination program! When a students is ready, we invite them to becomne involved in this prestigious program. You can't get that anywhere else
- We have won numerous awards for quality in music education including the ABC Award in Manchester, and the Wall of Fame award. We were also GRAMMY Nominated music educators two years in a row.
- We have programs that start at BIRTH - that's right, babies come to Mini MusicMakers with their parent or caregiver and so starts their musical journey. Guess what? MANY of those children have stayed with us until they go off to college. WE have longevity and lifelong friendships here, folks - people TRUST US and they STAY WITH US for their entire childhood (Some of them even come back as adults to teach with us!). That's important!
6) We assume EVERY student can become a musical genius, whether they pursue it or not. Why? Because the bar is set high, the belief is set high, and we never want to skimp on our belief in our students (at any age!). Now, this doesn't mean we "push" anyone, and no this is not a "tough" place to study music - its just an important mindset for us to instill in our students, one which allows them the trust and belief to go as far as they decide to go.
7) WE SUPPORT THE PARENT! Through many avenues including Parent Workshops, we make sure YOU the parent has what YOU need to support your children. Not sure what's next? Worried about your child's practice (or lack there of?)? Not sure how to best support them or what is "normal"? We help you. Our job is to De-Stress YOU so that you can keep the peace at home. Music lessons should never be "one more thing" on your plate.
You can visit our Facebook Page at facebook.com/MusicMakersAcademy
Our website is www.musicmakersacademy.com
The teachers really love their students and pour belief into them, no matter their age or level.
The process really depends primarily on the student, their age, their level, their instrument, and their goals. We pride ourselves on pedagogy, methodology, and flexibility. We are one big family here, all faculty members work together beautifully and collaborate whenever needed. When a new student comes in, the director has already gotten to know the parent/student, identified needs and learning styles, and matched that student carefully with the right teacher. When the student meets the teacher, the teacher always spends time getting to know how the student learns best, and has the expertise and flexibility to gear their teaching methods, tools, materials to that specific student. We do not do "cookie cutter" lessons here!
We are college-educated, most teachers have a masters degree in music, music education, or music composition. Every teacher has substantial experience which has been verified by the owner/director. Every teacher is passionate about teaching and about music, and make it their life's mission to continually improve.
Piano Lessons Accompaniment Lessons Acoustic Guitar Lessons Arrangement And Composition Lessons Audio Engineering Schools Audio Production Classes Audition Prep Lessons Bass Clarinet Lessons Blues Guitar Lessons Bluegrass Guitar Lessons Broadway Singing Lessons Cello Lessons Clarinet Lessons Classical Guitar Lessons Classical Voice Lessons Composition Lessons Country Guitar Lessons Country Singing Lessons Ear Training Lessons Fiddle Lessons