My name is Jacob Hermsen, founder & owner of NC Strings Studio, based in Durham, NC. I teach violin / viola students throughout North Carolina in all age categories & levels online and in person!
Currently supporting 25+ private students in their passion for music, to improve their skills, musicality, and sound.
At NC Strings Studio, I make music lessons accessible, affordable, and stimulate music education wherever / whenever I can, therefore I also offer discounts for siblings, as well as a sliding scale incl. different rates depending on county, and tailored to personal financial circumstances if necessary.
Please contact me here at lessons.com or through my website www.ncstringsstudio.com
I thoroughly enjoy supporting my students in their passion for music, to improve their skills, musicality, and sound!
Through patience, understanding, and fun, I always try to find a creative solution to common problems, and I strongly believe that every student can learn how to play an instrument!
It's been about five weeks of lessons now, and Jacob has been very observant and insightful. Even using video calls, Jacob has been able to point out very helpful improvements to my hand and body posture. He has also been paying attention to the pace of my learning, and successfully balances fundamental training and engaging practice material. Great teacher.
My child is learning and likes to go to lessons.
My daughter, Rebecca has the viola lessons with Mr. Hermsen. He is a very professional, talented musician teacher. My daughter really likes to study with Mr. Hermsen. He has been such a patient and kind of teacher with kids. His works make my daughter more and more love to play the music. Thank you, Mr.Hermsen! Being my daughter's teacher!
Very encouraging to student while still improving/correcting skills. He is very professional and makes lessons enjoyable.
- I always have to ask a few questions to each new student such as 'Have you played an instrument before?'/ 'Do you get music lessons at school?' / 'Can you already read notes?'
- Providing the student with an instrument is the first, and most important step. I can assist you in choosing the right size, or advice you on where to find instruments.
- During the first lesson we usually cover the basics of holding the bow, and how to hold the violin / viola.
- I find the Suzuki approach very useful for beginning students, but like to add other genres as well.
- Music Mind Games Teacher Training at Meredith College, NC
- Suzuki Violin Teacher Training at East Carolina University, NC (studied with James Hutchins)
- Masters of Viola performance degree from the University of Music Dresden, Germany (studied with Vladimir Bukac)
- Bachelor of Viola performance degree from the Conservatory of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (studied with Nobuko Imai)
10+ years of orchestra experience as principal viola in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and the USA.
30-minute lesson - $35
45-minute lesson - $50
60-minute lesson - $65
You'll find more information about payments, make-up lessons, cancellations etc. in my studio policy, which is available on my website: www.ncstringsstudio.com
Beginners - Intermediate - Advanced