The musical path of Jacob has taken him from The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and he now recently settled in Raleigh, North Carolina.
He received a Masters of Viola performance degree from the University of Music in Dresden - Germany, and holds a Bachelor of Viola performance degree from the Conservatory of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Jacob is also a Certified Suzuki Violin Teacher.
Next to his active performance career as an orchestra musician, a chamber-musician, and soloist, he is also the violist of the non-profit Sidewalk Opera, which increases the accessibility of (operatic) music by bringing it directly to doorsteps and sidewalks in various communities. The proceeds go towards providing music lessons for low-income families.
Outside of work, Jacob and his wife, opera singer Catherine Kelly, share a passion for live jazz, antiques, and traveling.
I thoroughly enjoy supporting my students in their passion for music, improve their skills, musicality, and sound!
Providing background information about the pieces we play, the history, and anecdotes, will help to get a better understanding of the music and the instrument we play.
Through patience, understanding, and fun, I always try to find a creative solution to common problems, and I strongly believe that every student can learn how to play an instrument!
My child is learning and likes to go to lessons.
He is a very calm, helpful, and patient teacher who will always encourage you.
I like the way she sounds when she practices. She likes to go to lessons.
Teacher method of teaching Rates. The way the teacher works with my child
- I always have to ask a few questions to each new student such as 'Have you played an instrument before?'/ 'Do you get music lessons at school?' / 'Can you already read notes?'
- Providing the student with an instrument is the first, and most important step. I can assist you in choosing the right size, or advice you on where to find instruments.
- During the first lesson we usually cover the basics of holding the bow, and how to hold the violin / viola.
- I find the Suzuki approach very useful for beginning students, but like to add other genres as well.
- Suzuki Violin Teacher Training at East Carolina University, NC (studied with James Hutchins)
- Masters of Viola performance degree from the University of Music Dresden, Germany (studied with Vladimir Bukac)
- Bachelor of Viola performance degree from the Conservatory of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (studied with Nobuko Imai)
10+ years of orchestra experience as principal viola in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and the USA.
30-minute lesson - $35
45-minute lesson - $50
60-minute lesson - $65
You'll find more information about payments, make-up lessons, cancellations etc. in my studio policy, which I provide upon request.
Beginners - Intermediate - Advanced
Starting at age 3