My philosophy of teaching piano and music is an integrated, individualistic approach. My responsibility as a teacher is to tap into the enthusiasm of the student - what excites them and captivates them about music and nurture that curiosity. While covering the spectrum of theory, technique, and depth of sounds - it is also important to keep it fresh with innovative approaches to learning different concepts and I achieve this using many different ways honed over the years. 'Practice' has become a loaded word with learning music and I encourage individuals to be self-motivated from their own desire to learn and reap the benefits of what 'practicing' can offer.
I teach people that:
- want to go the classical music/conservatory route
- want to make music on keyboards and synthesizers or electronic music
- are self-taught or play by ear and want to expand their musical possibilities
- want a background in music with basic tools to enhance their understanding of music they hear or be able to jam with others
- losing interest with music/piano and need something fresh
- take the AP Music Theory exam, Certificate of Merit exams, ABRSM exams
- just love music and want to learn but need guidance for how to go about it
- children that have a creative spirit and flair and want to find a way to channel that energy
Seoul National University of the Arts, music conservatory, piano performance ('93-'01)
Cornell University, Music Major, Computing in the Arts concentration ('02-'05, '11-'12)
Mills College, MFA in Performance and Literature for Improvisation ('13-'14)
Mills College, MA in Music Composition ('14-'15)
I enjoy the building of the learning experience and space together. Bringing and creating music and being a guide to help create that creative space effectively. Sharing is probably one of the most rewarding aspects of music and giving it in this way is particularly beautiful.
Julie is the most patient, engaged and thorough piano teachers I’ve ever had. I wanted pick up piano again after almost 20 years of not playing, and she quickly understood my learning style and adapted to me. She’s creative, and comes up with a customized well-rounded method of teaching in order to help you learn as quickly as possible. Additionally, it doesn’t hurt that she’s hilarious and warm. I would recommend Julie to anyone looking for the best!
She’s got great energy and is very creative in teaching the kids piano.
Very responsive to my needs.
i always start with a free consultation. the consultation is to examine my approach/style as well as seeing how well we connect. someone can be a great musician and not a good match as a mentor.
all ages, all levels of experience, all backgrounds... that is not important to me.
composing a 10 - 20 piano piece for my students' October recital
quality over quantity.
trust the process.
music is the connection to souls.
what do you love about music? let's start there.