Spencer Artist Development
Online (USA) and In Study (Long Beach, CA) Private Lessons are available in 30 45, 60 and 90 minute durations.
James Specializes in working with intermediate to advanced artistry level but also encourages beginners. James accepts students age 13 and older (or younger for artist development by successful audition)
ACTING: Acting, Voiceover, Method, Improv, Dialects, Musical Theatre
MUSIC: Voice, Piano, Violin, Music Theory/Ear, Music Composition/Songwriting, Arranging/Orch, Music Therapy Breath, Music History
ARTIST DEVELOPMENT (by successful audition) Advanced coaching plus business end such as: head shots, demo videos/audio, albums, agent referrals, university audition prep, LCM advanced grades and degree/diploma programs through independent study/LCM online testing and more)
WEB PORTFOLIO: Packages for artists.
I love discovering new talent and working with talented artists in the area.
Able to read music
Photos and videos
Frequently asked questions
What is your typical process for working with a new student?
1. Complimentary 15 minute phone consultation
2. Book 45 or 60 minute orientation lesson: includes assessment, orientation to my studio or online and goal setting
3. Pay registration ($60 single, $75 family) and registration for regularly weekly time
4. Complete 2 months of weekly lessons to qualify for additional promotions.
Online (US residents): FB messaging or Zoom
In person (Long Beach, CA)
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
Fellowship 2016 (University of West London)
Cl. Hynotherapy Diploma 2006 (HMI)
Master of Music 1995 (CSUF)
Bachelor of Music 1992 (CSUF)
Performance Diploma in Keyboard 1989 (Royal Academy of Music, Victoria, B.C.)
Associate of Arts in Music 1988 (OCC)
Do you have a standard pricing system for your lessons? If so, please share the details here.
Registration: $60 ($75 family)
30m: $50, 45m: $65, 60m: $80, 90m: $110
Call for Artist Development rates (by audition/portfolio submission)
Web packages: $1200-$2000
How did you get started teaching?
I have taught music and drama since I was 14. I have always had a passion for teaching acting and music.
What types of students have you worked with?
I tend to teach serious actors/musicians preparing for careers in the arts. I teach all levels, and cultural diversity.
Describe a recent event you are fond of.
Excited in 2023 to have taught students that have only studied acting with me for about 6 months that have already appeared as actors in movie, television , and live theatre. I am blessed with hard working dedicated students.
What advice would you give a student looking to hire a teacher in your area of expertise?
A professional acting or music coach should have the following
1. Advanced degrees
2. A website portfolio demonstrating photos of their professional level students, bio, studio policy and other products related to their field such as albums, books, digital workshop courses (jamesrspencer.com)
3. Years of BUSINESS experience in the arts aiding others to create their own successful arts businesses.
4. Connections in the industry.
What questions should students think through before talking to teachers about their needs?
1. Are they truly comitted and serious about their artistic growth. Will they practice daily?
2. What fears might be holding you back from being unstoppable?