My way of instruction will rocket launch your aspiration to becoming a full-fledged martial artist. In 13-classes, you will know how to defend yourself and you will begin boxing. I always told my many student in the 90's to early 2000's how taking classes 3x week for at least six months would turn you into the equivalent of a black-belt. They corrected me and said, "Sifu, it's actually three months." [That would be the equivalent of passing three 13-class modules = 39-classes total.] In short, that's how fast they got proficient and self-confident in full-contact self-defense. (In Jeet-Kune Do, the only ranking is based on the time you began -- not a colored belt). Meaning your skill would be comparable if not superior to many others PLUS you would have a full grasp and understanding of how every "style" or "system" of martial arts that exist out there fit into the flow of empty hand or armed combat. You will sequentially and simultaneously learn boxing, kicking, trapping, throwing-grappling-groundfighting to submissions. Within that time frame, there is a lot of instruction in CQC (Close Quarters Combat) included as well practice in all four ranges of hand-to-hand combat.
1. All beginners undergo learning in IMPACT Immediate Self Defense Classes thereby developing a real ability to defend themselves. You will be a changed person for the good and even better. The classes are design for the non-martial artist, novice, young teen, women, too-busy-professional or worker to build confidence, develop situational awareness, and be capable of really defending yourself.
2. The second half of the class is Boxing 101 [Intro to Boxing and Jeet-Kune Do – the art of Bruce Lee] – this is an interwoven connection between lecture, theory, and practice leading to increased kinesthetic awareness, body mechanical memory, and fighting skill. You will learn stances, form, balance, movement, punching, combinations, heavy bad training, speed bag training, focus gloves, and contact sparring. You will be a confident novice boxer at the end of the first 13-classes.
Separately, I also teach T'ai Chi and Chi Gung -- and you will see its incorporation in the self-defense I teach. NO ONE else teaches this way. The unseen power to all external methods is rooted in T'ai Chi and Chi Gung. I am a practitioner of the Beijing style, the Yang style, Wu style, and am currently studying the Wudang style. My roots are from the Taoist Institute. And for those interested in strictly T'ai Chi and Chi Gung, I also teach them separately.
The greatest enjoyment is witnessing the radical and rapid transformation of every student into a highly situationally aware, mentally adept, and physically capable defender. Continuing practice and learning turns one into a skilled fighter over time. My method results in positively changed and spiritually awakened persons. Yes – the realization of its spiritual components will be understood without dogma or ideology.
The Jeet-Kune Do I teach I also call Shen Chi (heavenly life-force) Gung Fu. These teachings incorporate the internal arts to develop power, fluidity, and Chi; the external arts to develop form, structure, and sensitivity; meditation to develop deep awareness of the Spirit and to attain no-mind; movement to develop speed, flow, and aliveness; and mind to direct the will and unite the esoteric and exoteric bodies. While you will learn to use every anatomical weapon you have at your disposal, you will, more importantly, learn and tap into the subtle energy field that pervades the environment and the potential battleground, whether in your inner being or the outer world.
Sifu Rolando has been a complete pleasure to work with. From the beginning he has been very understanding and most of all patient with both our children. Not only have we noticed progressive behavior and skills with both our children, we have also noticed their will to learn. We will definitely be continuing with our Sifu!
Working with Sifu Rolando has helped me transform into a much wiser and confident man by helping me understand my true purpose in life. Our practices in tai chi continue to evolve week after week and with them come excellent life lessons in understanding the benefits and science behind tai chi and meditation. Sifu Rolando is a wise man, a great instructor and I’m grateful he has also become a close friend. I highly recommend Sifu Rolando if you are truly trying to make a positive change in your life and become the best version of yourself. Christian.
Sifu Rolando's 13 session program is amazing! I was all over the place when I first started with him. I truly feel transformed not just with my martial arts, but in my whole life. Working with Sifu has made me more aware of myself, and more in control of myself. I can't thank him enough for the time he put into teaching me the history of JKD, and how to protect myself in real life situations. I feel transformed from Day 1 to Day 13. I went from scared sparring, to warrior sparring. What a great instructor! I can't wait to get started on my next 13 session program after the holidays. I am a lifetime client for sure. Great service! Thanks Sifu!
Class Structure, Guidelines, and Perspective:
The classes are progressive, cumulative, comprehensive, and repetitive learning, training, and practice intensive. Even if you are showing up for the first time this Saturday or any Saturday thereafter, you will receive the download of all prior classes to date. Albeit in a time-adjusted sequence. The classes are open to newcomers since there are still so many wanting to attend. This will be done with NO detriment whatsoever to the regulars since the training is continuous and repetitive to instill mind/body movement memory. So if you have attended the previous INTROs, you are welcome on a drop-in basis still to continue this much-needed training for any individual in today’s world.
The classes are a composite class of two different training courses in one.
1. Impact Immediate Self-Defense, and
· IMPACT Immediate Self-Defense System Class I (for women, teens, non-martial artists, and busy professionals) – Just what it says. You will learn how to defend yourself immediately after just one-class. Imagine completing the course.
2. Introduction to Boxing /Jeet-Kune Do
· Boxing 101 – Fundamentals of and Intro to Boxing – An interwoven connection between lecture, theory, and practice leading to increased kinesthetic awareness, body memory, and boxing skills. You will learn stances, form, balance, movement, punching, combinations, defense, footwork, et al training with focus gloves, heavy bag, speed bag, and contact sparring.
The classes I teach are still essentially private classes. This time to a larger group to expedite a process of learning, studying, practicing, and training.
Please understand that these classes are scientifically designed and experientially backed to produce a certain result. Also though the title says “Boxing”, think more like Chinese Boxing – which learns to use every anatomical weapon at your disposal. And the internal art to develop Qi and power.
What is that result?
· You are capable of intelligently discerning, deciding, avoiding, evading, and defending virtually any scenario you may face in your walk in life.
· You will be 1st level beginning boxers. Continuous training available to the intermediate and advanced levels. If you choose. Or just continue coming to regular sparring classes after accomplishing the 1st 13-class course.
· You will be comfortable boxing sparring in class with your classmates and others as we grow.
· Your skill and abilities will demonstrate a marked and measurable increase that will give the confidence you never knew was actually possible.
· You will learn key principles to living, defending, and surviving any encounter. The principles make the techniques easier to grasp and not have to remember.
WHAT MATTERS TO MAKE THESE CLASSES SUCCESSFUL FOR YOU ARE:
1. A willingness to learn
2. A good attitude
3. An understanding of the intrinsic and deep value of this training program
If you are all of the above, do not worry about class cost because I will accommodate every single one of you who has the abovementioned determination. That’s what really matters.
Sifu Rolando’s lineage in Jeet Kune Do Gung Fu stems from the Oakland school of James Yimm Lee under Sifu Ted Wong & Sifu Charles Taveras, the Los Angeles JFJKD school of Guro Dan Inosanto, and the JFJKD Grappling school of Sifu Larry Hartsell. He began training in boxing, judo, and arnis as a teenager. His many other instructors and teachers include: Sifu Hoover Chan, Wing Chun; Sifu Carl Totton, T’ai Chi & Chi Kung; Professor Salem Assli, La Savate-Boxe Francaise; and the late great Besar Pendekar Herman Suwanda, Mande Muda Pencak Silat. He continues to study the writings and teachings of Sifu Paul Vunak JFJKD trapping (Progressive Fighting Systems), Master Hua-Ching Ni, Chinese Internal Arts; and Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, Chinese Internal & Martial Arts. He continuously studies, practices, trains, and teaches elements from Chinese and Western Boxing, Wing Chun, Savate, Jiujitsu, Judo, Muay Thai, Pencak Silat, Filipino Martial Arts (FMA), and Chinese Internal & Martial Arts.
Breakdown of offered class tuition:
· Payment in full 13-classes: $350
· Payment monthly (4 classes/month): $120 per month
· Payment by class: $40
· Pay what you can afford: Please call me direct @ 619-779-1880 anytime today or let me know on Saturday
· Scholarship: If you are in a high-threat situation/ financially challenged – Please call me direct @ 619-779-1880 anytime today or let me know on Saturday
· REMEMBER: I will accommodate every single one of your requests to attend class. I also do other exchanges of value or you can bring others or simply pass it forward.
After class, I do need to sit with each registrant individually for about 3-minutes.
SEPARATE PRIVATE CLASSES ARE OFFERED AT A DISCOUNT TO ALL CURRENT STUDENTS. EXACT TUITION DEPENDING ON DURATION, TERM, AND NEED. PLEASE CALL ME DIRECTLY @ 619-779-1880
SO HERE’S WHAT I NEED FOR ALL OF YOU TO DO PLEASE:
1. Show up for class at 10:00 AM
2. FILL OUT the Student application after class.
3. Please be prepared to make arrangements or payments by the first class depending on what you choose or decide.
Primary instructor for Colorado JKD Gung Fu Club, 1992-1995.
Head instructor for Los Angeles JKD Gung Fu Club, 1996-2007.
Head instructor for Rogue Valley JKD Gung Fu Academy, 2007-2016.
Head Instructor, Mission Valley Boxing Club, 2019-Present.
All kinds. Beginner. Intermediate. Advanced.
Teach black belts from other traditions. Teacher of teachers from other disciplines or traditions and within the JKD family.
I-JKD Competition produced by colleague Sifu Paul Swaim Lewis
Know yourself (as much as you can) and what you really want in life.
Interview an instructor to see how their very being and background matches up to you and your goals.
What us your real level of commitment to learning?
What prompted you to learn?
What experiences or challenges have you faced?