I am a piano teacher based in Austin, TX. I started teaching in Rio de janeiro, the city where I was born, 30 years ago. After I moved to the USA, I taught private piano lessons in Seattle for many years, where I was also invited to teach music workshops at the EMP Museum, now called Museum of Pop Culture. I moved to Austin in 2011.
I've performed in classical music ensembles, pop and jazz big bands, reggae groups, rock groups, African music bands, a Puerto Rican salsa/merengue orchestra, and other different kinds of music!
* UFRJ - Brazilian Federal University of Music - Two years Classical piano.
* Conservatory of Music in Rio de Janeiro - Music Theory Program Certificate.
* UFF - Brazilian Federal Fluminense University - First Early Music Program Certificate.
* Santa Úrsula University in Rio de Janeiro - Third Early Music Program Certificate.
* Classical Piano Lessons with international pianist Luiz Medalha.
* Improvisation and Harmony with international pianist and arranger Luiz Eça.
* Composition with composer and Maestro Leonardo Sá.
* Voice with Maestro David Kyle in Seattle.
* Voice with Steve Wall, from the Seattle Opera.
* Voice with Mady Kaye, from the Beat Divas in Austin, TX.
I like seeing the progress of students, and their satisfaction in being able to play an instrument well. I also like teaching because it helps me as well. When I teach I always learn!
Accommodating, knowledgeable, friendly, and experienced.
"Paula is a great piano teacher. She incorporates music theory and singing practice into the lessons, she’s organized and understanding, and she has helped me become familiar with the piano and with music in general in a fun way. I really recommend her!"
"Perhaps because of her background in latin music, Paula insists not only on proper technique but also feelings. It proved useful on so many levels as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend her."
"Paula is valuable as a piano teacher because she instructs according to her students' goals. She's been playing for decades and is a recording artist herself, which obviously gives her the credentials and a special perspective... but during lessons, none of this gets in way of the student. She teaches you proper technique, but without turning the learning process into a bore fest. She exposes you to theory and the big picture, but without disregarding the student's natural tendencies of just wanting to play some songs. Learning stays fun, but nearly without notice, the student still gets the proper education. From a practical standpoint, Paula is a perfect instructor choice. As a 29-year-old professional, I always had interest in playing the piano, but just couldn't find the time. Paula makes learning the keyboard fit within my schedule and its sometimes hectic pace."
I like to set up one initial lesson to make sure we are a good fit, and go from there!
Children, Teenagers, Adults