Keisha F: Yoga, Meditation & Dance Classes
Keisha's love affair with movement began with street dance at the age of 8, but it wasn't until 1993 when she entered the hip-hop and underground house scene that her real dance education began. In 1999, she set out to have formal dance training, which started with Oriental and samba and later spanned everything from African to modern. She also became an avid yogi as well as a student of Pilates, all the while performing throughout the city in nightlife and with companies. Years of work as a theatrical performer and landing a job teaching bellydance at a pole studio, gradually brought her to explore aerial pole. She became instantly connected to the athleticism and beauty found in the art form and how it makes everyone who tries it feel confident and strong.
Keisha’s approach to teaching pulls from her years of experience with different movement vocabularies. Her focus is always on proper alignment, strength development, treating muscle imbalances as well as building a solid foundation.
In what feels like a well-loved past life, Keisha also had a productive 10 year career in publishing/journalism. She wrote and edited for various publications, while performing with dance companies on the side—until the day came when she decided that she wanted to live a life of yoga and dance. She currently serves as the Director of a yoga center in downtown Manhattan.
CERTIFICATIONS & TRAININGSYoga Tune Up® Certification Dec 2015
• Yoga training to teach self-healing through the use of the Yoga Tune Up® method and therapy balls for myofascial release
Kane School of Core Integration FAMI Anatomy/Kinesiology Immersion Dec 2014
• In-depth program with Mount Sinai, including gross anatomy labs led by anatomists
PRATT School Dance Therapy Modules May 2014
• Participated in 3 modules designed to introduce the use of dance therapy with clients
LIMS School Anatomy Introduction Workshop July 2013
• Two-day anatomy focusing on the vertebrae as well as injury prevention
Thai Massage Phase One Training, Om Factory July – August 2013
• Series of courses teaching therapeutic bodywork for yoga or general therapy
Om Factory 200-Hour Vinyasa Certification Jan 2013 - April 2013
• Yoga Alliance accredited 3-month program with a strong focus on anatomy
X-Pert Pole Fitness Certification, Crunch Summer2011
• Detailed breakdown of tricks, proper spotting techniques, class layouts, and more