I enjoy helping people reach their goals. Nothing is more satisfying to me than watching the metamorphosis of a person becoming stronger, more confident, and more capable.
Kai is a very knowledgeable instructor who is very patient, kind and has a talent for teaching. I like that ADC is focused on everyone succeeding. I like that despite having decades of training experience Kai is humble and respectful. Kai knows when to dial it up and motivates you to reach higher levels and when to dial it in and focus on core concepts without being a cocky, arrogant know it all. He takes the time to showcase explain and break down large concepts into digestible and actionable pieces . I like that foundations are laid out in a sequence that builds upon the prior foundations and that lessons are based on real-world situations and are not filled with fluff, flash and tons of superfluous moves and techniques that you will not remember or use that are all too common in the self defense circuits. After a class I feel empowered and better from it each time.
Kai is a very patient teacher and will work with you until get down whatever it is you are working on. I could not praise this company more on how excellent they are at what they do.
I usually don't leave reviews but I have to say that he was amazing! I was nervous about signing up for lessons since I did not have any prior knowledge or experience. That didn't matter, as he showed me every step clearly and explained the process at my pace. I learned so much and felt capable of using this knowledge in a real-life situation. Truly five stars out of five stars! 👍
How you receive customer
I typically like to discuss a client's purpose and needs first. This can include whether or not they are seeking defensive training for recreation, personal-defense strategies, or for occupational use.
To scale and cusomize the lesson to the student, I like to discuss their skill, experience level, and goals related to the course of study they choose.
I use our first lesson to test and customized based on the student's performance and comfort to ensure the learning process is productive and enjoyable
Like many of the instructors who work with and for me, I have relevant experience and credentials that help me provide what our clients need. They are listed below.
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice - ODU 2013
- 19 years experience, 14 years teaching in Traditional Martial Arts Systems (Hapkido, Karate, Japanese Jujutsu, Japanese Fencing)
- 15 years experience, 12 years teaching in Mixed Martial Arts Systems (Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ)
- 12 Years, 10 years teaching in modern combatives systems (Defensive Tactics, CQC, Military-style fighting systems)
- Course Designer and force-on-force director for courses taught at Applied Defense Concepts LLC as well as consulting for other companies.
- 17 years experience, 12 years teaching firearms safety, marksmanship and tactics
- NRA certified instructor in handgun, rifle, shotgun, home defense, Chief Range Safety Officer and more
- 4 years experience as a Private Security Professional
- 5 years experience as a Private Investigator
- 6 years experience as Fugitive Recovery Agent (current)
For all personal self-defense and martial arts-based classes (including edged weapons)
- $40.00 per hour (for Single Class, whenever, wherever you want!)
- Package - 4 Classes a month - $120.00 ($30.00 Per Class)
- Package - 8 Classes a month - $200.00 ($25.00 Per Class, BEST DEAL)
First-time Handgun safety Classes that includes range time
- $50.00 Per Hour (does not include range, rental, ammo, and target fees)
Non-shooting Safety and handeling Classes are
- $30.00 per hour (all firearms)
Shooting Range Sessions for any firearm type
- $40.00 per hour (does not include range, rental, ammo, and target fees)
Want your family or friends to train with you? Group lessons are available upon request!
I have always had a passion for self-defense and helping people. I never knew I wanted to teach when I was younger but this grew out of seeing how much people changed and grew after learning how to defend themselves. Removing those doubts and fears that prevent so many of us from living fuller, happier lives is not only the overall goal of my company, but one I hold for my students.
I and my company have worked with a wide variety of people from many walks of life. Men, women, teenagers, the young, and the old. From college students to the busy working professional. We have also had the pleasure of helping those in more vulnerable communities such as the LGBTQ community as well.
We have the privilege of currently instructing to members of our nation's military and law enforcement, as well as scores of private security, investigation, and protective agents.
We were recently asked to put on a demo at the 5.11 Virginia Beach tactical store. We all had a wonderful time and met a lot of new faces.
Ensure whomever you hire to teach you "pressure tests" you. Self-defense techniques, no matter if they are for your fist, gun, or knife, survives in your mind without pressure testing. Also ensure that what you are being taught are sound techniques that work in reality.
These are so important. Training in Self-Defense, martial arts, and firearms is very rewarding but can also get someone in deep trouble if used at the wrong time. The training process can also be challenging and so the right kind of motivation is important. Ask yourself..
1. What do you want to use this training for? (recreation, fitness, confidence, self-defense, all?)
2. How dedicated will you be to following through with training?
3. Do you have any emotional triggers when it comes to violence? (If you do, please tell me so I can adapt)
4. How in-control are you of your emotions (anger)?
5. Are you mentally and emotionally fit enough to own and train with a weapon?
6. Will you use these skills to hurt others?
7. Have you set goals for yourself?